Friday, September 4, 2009

MBA of life called AIESEC!

Today I am finishing my 4 years MBA in the University of Life called AIESEC, and there is only one word that comes to my mind to summarize this experience… GRATITUDE!

Have you ever stopped to think why people do an MBA? What are the benefits of doing an MBA?
Usually the reasons are: Advancing in their career, changing their career, starting their own business, build a new and powerful network, learning how to solve complex problems in a practical way, and so on and so forth.

The University of Life called AIESEC and its MBA program aims to create change agents through the development of 11 competencies: Self-Awareness, Personal Effectiveness, Analytical Thinking, Awareness of Others, Inclusiveness, Effective Communication, Development of Others, Stakeholder Focus, Inner Strength, Innovation and Commitment to Results. (Check my competency assessment below, the green bars represent how it was in the beginning of my AIESEC MBA)



The methodology? Practical experience through international internships, a learning environment comprised by team experiences, conferences, seminars, virtual spaces and platforms, mentorship and coaching programs and much more, combined with a leadership program where individuals have the chance to lead a high performance team. The program is completely flexible and the student chooses its own path.


I started the AIESEC MBA going for exchange to India, Chennai, for a marketing internship in an organization called Campus abroad. This experience taught me the importance of being able to adapt, to react faster to different environment, to stretch our cultural understanding. I also have built a fair international network, while in touch with more than 40 other AIESEC trainees.

My second year was about getting some functional knowledge, so I was assigned to manage the finances of the AIESEC branch in Brazil (Sao Paulo), I have learned a lot about budgeting, scenario planning, return of investments and others.

The main projects I managed and main results I got: Development of a new financial model, Redesign of conference management (long term venue contract, increasing logistical capacity), Design of new financial management software and contract negotiation with vendor, Growth of 200% in operational revenue , Increase of 30% of reserves.

After managing finances, I decided to step up and go for a strong leadership experience, being responsible for leading directly a team of 6 people from 3 different countries, plus being responsible for the operations of 30 local AIESEC branches in Brazil, with more than 2,000 people.

During this experience, I have the chance to work in a Long Term Plan implementation (Adjustment of planning framework, design of road map, set up of long term organizational goals), Balanced Scorecard implementation (Development of new planning framework and tracking tools, revision of measurement tools and development of rewards & recognition based on the Balanced Scorecard, Delivery of the International Congress 2008 (a congress for 1000 people form 100 different countries with a budget of more than 1 million Euros).

Some of the results I got: Growth of 60% in exchange realization and general growth in all key performance indicators (200-325), Strategic Management ING Award winner – The best AIESEC office amongst 107 countries AIESEC is present in, Growth of 300% in operational revenue and increase of 75% of reserves.

My last year of the AIESEC’s MBA, took place in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. I was responsible for Strategy & Operations in the global headquarter of AIESEC, working directly with 22 amazing and smart individuals from 16 different countries, taking care of the strategic direction and operations of more than 600 offices, over a 100 countries, with more than 38,000 people.

Projects? What did I do? Leading global planning process with 107 Countries and more than 800 local offices, Balanced Scorecard education and Strategy Map revision, Redefining quality standards and measurement systems, Leading country development team (6 regional Directors), Leading the strategic development task force (Vice President of Talent Management, Exchange, External Relations, Information Systems, Finance and President) , Leading global competitive analysis process.

Results? 45% year-on-year growth in exchange results – Biggest growth in the last 15 years, and first time that we achieved the 2010 vision’s goals. In a year that the majority of the organizations failed to succeed!

I have tried to summarize how my 4 years AIESEC MBA contributed to my development and next steps, check this out:



I think now you understand why GRATITUDE is the word that express my feelings towards my AIESEC MBA! I wish more and more people can have the chance to join the university of life called AIESEC, and that more and more people can learn as much as I learned, can meet people as many as I’ve met, can travel as much as I traveled, can share ideas as much as I’ve shared and most importantly, can be happy as much as I am!

That's the truly spirit of leadership development, you do what you love, you deliver your promises in a sustainable way, you get people to do things you believe it is the right ones, you don't feel the time going away... you just enjoy the journey!

Thanks AIESEC and AIESECers, partners, alumni, sponsors, supervisory boards and groups, all stakeholders that make and made AIESEC possible and real!

Yours truly,
Mauricio Schneider
A proud AIESEC alumnus!

26 comments:

  1. Awesome post Mauricio! Thanks for all the help and support in the past year in making our AIESEC MBA more real and fruitful as well!!

    Cheers!
    Sid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post Mauricio.

    For AIESEC is one the best (and cheapest ...) MBA of the world !!!



    Boa sorte para teu futuro !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post and totally true..!
    A complete life-changing experience that will last forever! Nice to have worked with you in the last year! and I hope to see you again. :-)

    Beijinhos!

    Aleja.

    ReplyDelete
  4. am looking forward to your next update !!! =)
    Wish you all the best and see you soon !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mauricio - I am glad you have taken time to reflect on your experiences and have concluded that they were immensely powerful to your personal development. Now, it is time to have patience and vision on a new journey. All the best as you begin down that road.

    Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mauricio this is fantastic, thank you so much for all ur support to us, and congrats for having countinuous successful experiences.

    good luckkkkkkkkkk

    Ap :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mauricio, great post, congratulations and good luck with making an impact this experience has prepared you for :)

    Jarda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Mauricio, I´m right now in the same page, greatful towards the AIESEC XP, School of Business!

    It´s up to us how many subjects do we want to take and how further do we want to reach.

    I wish you the very best in the upcoming projects!

    Maxi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brasilero!! Congrats for an amazing year and thanks for crystalising so many thots for u during ur time as VPOS. I remember meeting you in Turkey after IC 07 and thinking you are one of the most insightful people I had met in AIESEC. As you go forth in life, am sure God will bless you much more so that you can bless many more.

    Lets meet again in the coming years.
    Kevin Chege

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey boss,

    really cool to see all this learning come to a conclusion. We know it wasn't easy, cheap or always good. But it was worth it. Thanks for sharing an year of your learning with me, and contributing to mine. I believe I contributed to yours as well, so I am really happy to receive this e-mail! Success and I hope to see you soon!

    beijos,

    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  11. É alemão...muita coisa mesmo aconteceu nesses 4 anos. Te conheci na metade dessa trajetória e apesar te tudo posso dizer que foi um enorme prazer.Parabéns pelas conquistas e obrigada, aprendi muito com vc profissionalmente.
    See you someday
    Dani

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have the same feelings for Aiesec.

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful blog ! How does it feel to see this AIESEC MBA school from outside as an Alumnus? Sometimes I wonder.. Its great how you share this experience. Wish you all the best while you head for the future. So, I met you in Brazil, Hong Kong...whats next?
    Hugs from bollywood..lol... ;)
    Meet

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am glad to read this and to be a witness of this journey.
    I believe that AIESEC is grateful to you for what you had contributed to it, as well is everyone that had the luck to met you and spend some time with you during this time.
    You have potential, to be always more and strive for excellence. You have the guts to fight for it and the humility to learn with the organization. Wish you the good luck with your future projects because I know that success you already have.
    Renata Toniolo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing!
    You are an incredible person!
    For sure AIESEC is the best MBA!

    Wish you all the best!
    Hope to see you again...

    Glori

    ReplyDelete
  16. GO AIESEC...
    While you end your journey, it's my time to start mine...

    ReplyDelete
  17. "you've said it brother!"
    Great description of your experience and these 'benefits' that you can't buy.. you need to live through all this great amazing unique XP!
    Come to implement it all at your 4SC now!!
    Beijo do mano

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks Mauricio!
    All the best with new ideas!
    Give me news
    Masha

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mauricio, it's an art to be able to summarize such an intense experience is such a simple, concrete and honest way.
    This post - your story - is a fantastic example for an outsider to understand the organization and for an AIESECer to value his/her experience and especially be able to package it.

    If I may, i'll be sharing this story this year.

    It's been awesome knowing you and I am sure our paths will cross again.

    Cheers man!
    Vish

    ReplyDelete
  20. this is nice post!thanks for writing such a good word, it gave me huge motivation to think about AIESEC in different way :)

    take care, and see you !
    hugs from Korea
    hana,

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dearest Mauricio! Wonderful post, wonderful reflection! I am so happy that you went through all this great experience!! It was true adventure and lesson of life. I wish you all the best in your next steps, my dear. I love you! Greetings from Lithuania!
    Laura miau :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Man I'm just reading this now, but it comes just in the right time. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete